The Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering at Rice University was established as its own department in 2013. We are ABET accredited.
- #29, Materials Science: 2021 U.S. News & World Report Best Graduate Schools
- #18, George R. Brown School of Engineering: 2019 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges, Undergraduate
- #31, Materials Science: 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Global Universities (most recent ranking)
Learn more about our academic programs.
- 7 Tenured & Tenure Track Faculty
- 5 Research Professors
- 23 Joint Appointments
- 1 Professor in the Practice
- 3 Lecturers
Our faculty include fellows of:
- American Society of Materials International
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (3)
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society (2)
- Materials Research Society (2)
- National Academy of Engineering
- National Academy of Inventors
Learn more about our faculty.
Over 30% of PhD students received competitive fellowships including federal, industry and endowed:
- Air Force - Ph.D. Program For Air Force captains
- Humboldt Research Fellowship (CAPES)
- Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT)
- Escuela Superior Politecnica Del Litoral (ESPOL)
- Ford Foundation Fellowship
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships (NDSEG)
- National Science Foundation Research Traineeship Program (NRT)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship program (NSF GRFP)
- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) National Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Undergraduate: 48
- PhD: 37
- Professional Masters: 35
Learn more about the George R. Brown School of Engineering's degrees awarded.
Top Employers of Our Alumni
- Baker Hughes
- Capital One
- Proctor & Gamble
- Lockheed Martin
- Applied Materials
- McKinsey & Company
- Aramco Services
Start Ups Where Our Alumni Work
- Syzygy Plasmonics
- CSS Nanotech, Inc.
Learn more about our alumni.