A dozen Rice faculty members are included in Thomson Reuters’ 2014 Highly Cited Researchers list, the first update of the prominent citation ranking in 10 years.
The new list includes 3,215 researchers in the sciences and social sciences who authored papers that ranked among the top 1 percent most cited for their subject field and year of publication in Thomson Reuters’ academic citation indexing and search service, Web of Knowledge. The 2014 list covers 113,092 highly cited papers published between 2002 and 2012. The new list is the first full update to the Highly Cited Researchers list since 2004 and the most comprehensive update since the list debuted in 2001.
Rice researchers on the new list include:
* Pulickel Ajayan, the Benjamin M. and Mary Greenwood Anderson Professor in Engineering, professor and chair of the Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering and professor of chemistry and of chemical and biomolecular engineering;
* Pedro Alvarez, the George R. Brown Professor and chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering;
* Richard Baraniuk, the Victor E. Cameron Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering;
* Vicki Colvin, the Kenneth S. Pitzer-Schlumberger Professor of Chemistry, vice provost for research and professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering;
* Pengcheng Dai, professor of physics and astronomy;
* Naomi Halas, the Stanley C. Moore Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and professor of chemistry, biomedical engineering and physics and astronomy;
* Antonios Mikos, the Louis Calder Professor of Bioengineering and professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering;
* Peter Nordlander, professor of physics and astronomy and in electrical and computer engineering;
* Nicholas Putnam, associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology;
* the late Richard Smalley, who was University Professor, the Gene and Norman Hackerman Chair in Chemistry and professor of physics;
* Tayfun Tezduyar, the James F. Barbour Professor of Mechanical Engineering;
* James Tour, the T.T. and W.F. Chao Chair in Chemistry, professor of materials science and nanoengineering and of computer science.
For more information about the Highly Cited Researchers list or the methodology used to compile the list, visit http://highlycited.com.