How to Apply
Please read carefully through these step-by-step instructions before sending questions to the GR/UG Program Administrator. For frequently asked questions regarding admission, please click here.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent undergraduate degree
• Grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent in another grading system
If your university/college does not use the 4.0 grading system, please translate your GPA into the 4.0 scale if at all possible
• GRE general test scores taken within last three years
• There are no published required minimum scores. For information and test registration, visit the GRE home page at ets.org
• Recommendations from at least three people who know your academic achievements and potential
• TOEFL score if your native language is not English. The minimum score is 90 on Internet-based, 250 on computer-based, and 600 on paper-based test.
• For information and test registration, visit ielts.org. IELTS (minimum score of 7) is acceptable in lieu of TOEFL. This TOEFL/IELTS requirement is waived for students who have received or will receive prior to entering our graduate program, a degree from a university where English is the official language of communication.
Our faculty seeks the highest caliber students for the number positions available. Please be sure that you meet the minimum requirement before you apply. In addition, we encourage you to be well informed about our graduate degree requirements.
The Fall admission process begins September 1st of the previous year of matriculation.
The deadline for fall semester applications is January 15th. Late applications for fall admissions may be considered until March 15th.
The Spring admission process begins of September 1st of the previous year of matriculation.
The deadline for spring semester applications is November 1st. Please note that we admit very few students for spring semester due to faculty and space availability.
A complete application consists of the following:
• Online application form: After you submit your online application, you cannot change any information provided in the form. Should you need to update your application, please contact the GR/UG Program Administrator by e-mail with the information that you wish to be in your application.
• Application fee: The application fee ($85.00) can be paid online when you submit your online application form
• We cannot accept cash, a check or money order and we do not grant fee waivers
• Transcripts: One official transcript from all universities/colleges attended
• A transcript must be enclosed in a sealed envelope with an official stamp or signature across the seal when the department receives it.
• We do not need secondary school (high school) transcripts
• If your transcripts and proof of degree are not in English, you must provide an official translation from a translation service. The document should be on the translator's letterhead or bear their official seal or stamp.
• GRE scores: The department must receive the official score report from ETS. Use the institution code 6609 and department code 1402. The test must have been taken within the past three years.
• Three letters of recommendation: We accept letters of recommendation through your online application.
• To submit online recommendations, current email addresses and titles for all references must be included with your online application form
• TOEFL score: The department must receive the official score report from IELTS. Use the institution code 6609 and department code 73. If you take an IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, please write to the GR/UG Program Administrator so the department will be able to obtain the score directly from the IELTS office.
There is no financial aid available through Rice for the professional master’s program (MMSNE).
Attn.: GR/UG Program Administrator
Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering– MS 325
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892
If you are using Express mail, FedEx, DHL, etc., be sure to use our street address:
Attn.: GR/UG Program Administrator
Rice University – MS 325
Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005-1827
Notification of Application Status
You will receive an email notification upon receipt of your application. The message will indicate if your application is missing an item or items. Only complete applications are reviewed and considered. We will contact the top candidates by email to make offers of admission in mid-March to mid-April. A final application status notification will be sent to all other applicants to whom offers are not made by the end of May.
To avoid the delay of your application process, please do not contact the department chair or faculty members to inquire about admission requirements or application procedures/status. They will simply forward your message to the GR/UG Program Administrator.